The British Grassland Society is a forum for those with an active interest in the science and practice of temperate grassland production and utilization.
They bring together research workers, farmers, advisers, teachers and technical members of the agricultural industry. BGS is in contact with farmers through its affiliated local grassland societies across the United Kingdom. (*See below the Upper Severn Grassland Society)
The society has many active members abroad and is also a member of the European Grassland Federation and has a number of objectives:
- The improvement of economic methods of production and utilization of grass and forage crops for the promotion of profitable agriculture.
- The advancement of education and research in grass and forage crop production and utilization. Publication of the results of relevant research to an international audience via a quarterly journal and academic symposium.
- Interpretation of research and active communication of improved methods of production and utilization to the farming community.
- Promotion of grassland farming as an exemplar of sustainable agriculture, which is environmentally benign and visually attractive, for the public benefit.
- Its Research and Development Committee represents members' interests to Government by responding to consultations and identifying priorities for research.
Upper Severn Grassland Society *
We have worked with the Upper Severn Valley Grassland Society over the past 4 years hosting 7 tours to date and visiting, France , Estonia and Latvia, Andorra, Spain, Switzerland and in the UK, Scotland, Isle of Man and Warwick.
Our next tour would have been in May 2020 visiting the Czech Republic and Poland but due to the Corona virus situation this tour has been postponed to May 2021.
In every country we have developed a network of important contacts including Farmers and Farming Organisations, Hotels and Transport Companies on who we can depend.
Our portfolio of Tours is based on a range of previous tours which have proved to be popular. They can be adapted to suit any of our clients needs and we are constantly adding new destinations to our portfolio.